Friday 15 March 2013

Portal to Nigeria - Plod

by Renee Petzer

Hiya

So for those of you looking for Lagostian intrigue, Naija skinner or local West African insights – this is not the week to get it.  This week, is all about moi.  For those of you that planted the little seed of running a 21.5km race in March, “they who must not be named”, know who you are. 

Play in the tune of the Golden Girls TV show, think of me a Sofia and picture this: Lagos March 2013:  30°C  +  humidity of 80%  +  2 hours on the treadmill  + facing a blank white’ish wall + one wall clock stuck at 09h15 with a jumpy second hand + one iPod playlist = insanity.   

The running guru’s say, you must be able to go the distance, I wonder if they include “plod” in their vocabulary?  What on earth was I thinking on my little 4 km in 40 minutes plods around Cannon Rocks in Dec 2012? What on earth were “they who must not be named” scheming when they planted the seed? Is my belief that we can do and achieve whatever we want that apparent?  Today my pace on 16km was exactly 5 seconds faster than my average pace in week 1’s training, depressing  - so I’m not even going to divulge my total time, except to say I did include little 2 min walks every 10 to 15min and that the 21.5km is going to take a looooong time. 

When does one start to feel like a runner? Are the slightly numb toes at 12km an indication that you are feeling like a runner? Or the short breaths at 16km’s (OK that cheating, it’s the smoking I know).  Maybe it’s the surge of energy that kicks in after 1h40? Or the knowledge that singing at the top of your voice to rock music  (thank you David) for the last 3 km’s – cause that is all that’s going to keep you going that makes you know you’re a runner? Or maybe it’s the awesome burst of energy about 5 minutes after you’re finished running that gives you enough energy to dance around the gym for at least 3 air guitar songs?  I don’t know, I still think I’m a swimmer and a canoeist.

So to Jen who tackles World Triathlons and Marlene who’s shaved her hair – respect.

26 more days of plodding to race day.
Have a great week all
Hugs & love

No comments:

Post a Comment